Are you looking for a cute centerpiece idea for your summer parties that are easy to do? Are you wanting an activity you can do with the kids now that school is out? Today we are going to create a lollipop display for a kid’s summer vacation party and discuss some other delicious summer fun ideas.
For this creatively fun project you will need half of a watermelon shell and your choice of lollipops. I have picked the Jelly Candy Fish Kabobs, Flip Flop Lollipops, and the Butterfly Pops. Select a small watermelon with a vibrantly colored shell. You can pick whatever size you want, but today, we are just going to need a small size.
Preparing Your Watermelon
- Cut your watermelon in half lengthwise. You will be using only 1 half for your centerpiece. (Save the other half for you family to enjoy after the festivities.)
- Cut out the fruit inside the shell of your watermelon. Once you are done with that, pat try and turn upside down on a flat surface. Make you sure to place your watermelon in an area that will keep your safe and secure. (I recommend using a round tray or plate, but that depends on the size of the watermelon.) You do not have to cover the watermelon with aluminum foil, but if you do, tuck it really well on the side. You may or may not need a little touch of tape for it to stay in place. If you want to add a little pop of color, grab the tinted clear saran or cling wrap and place firmly on top of the foil.
- Next you will need a small screwdriver, ice pick, or something similar that will pierce a tiny hole in the watermelon shell without much resistance. Be careful not to rip your cover.
- Decide what type of pattern you want on the watermelon, if any. (Remember you do not want to pierce your holes close together or too far apart. Spacing is key depending on what you are doing. A few examples are spelling out a person’s name or designing a picture on a piece of paper and using it as an outline.
- Once you have decided on your pattern, slowly pierce your holes into the covered watermelon shell. I am going to start approximately 2″ from the bottom up and go evenly all the way around in a straight line. Don’t push in too far because you want your lollipops to be the one that makes the bigger hole and stay securely without being floppy. A small hint: take your widest lollipop or the lollipop you plan to use on the bottom and measure how far apart you want your holes.
- Next move up approximately 1″ to 1 1/2″ depending on the size of your pops and how full you want your display to look. Repeat the prior step except this time pierce your holes opposite of the holes along the bottom row.
- Continue going up with your rows doing the same thing until you have completely covered you base.
Time For Decorating
- Time to add your selection of lollipop decorations. Taller lollipops should go along the bottom holes unless you are planning to push them all the way through.
- Carefully slide the lollipops into the holes you have punctured into the watermelon. You can decide how far you want to go, but remember, the farther you go, the bigger the hole you get.
- Allow you creative side to show by adding pops of colors to your display. Your kids will love the freedom they will have when you let them make selections as well.
- Add a trim. I would add a cute plastic lei along the bottom tucked under the lollipops. It’s easy to color coordinate with the main colors of your presentation. Don’t forget lots of red, blue, orange, and green colors to celebrate all the beauties of summer. The possibilities are endless.
- First and foremost, always have fun and cherish the time with the children in your life. Play with the colors you have available. You never know just how much fun you will have until you at least try. Remember; life’s a journey, live it!
Summer Fun Ideas
School is out. The sun is shining as bright as ever. The grass is green and the flowers are blooming. Now it’s time to dig out those shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. Get outside and have some fun in the sun.
Do you love to eat candy? Do you love to play in the water? Good, now that you have answered yes to both of my questions, follow through with what I have to tell you. Now that summer is finally here, we are all ready for a break. Moms & Dads, teachers, janitors, babysitters, dog walker, you name it, we’re all ready for a little bit of summer fun.
Here are a few items we carry at Candy Concepts, Inc. that are not messy and will provide you with hours of enjoyment.
As you see pictured above, we have our candy filled Sweet Soaker. A toy water gun that is also filled with tangy fruit flavored candy. Eat and enjoy the delicious candy, then you and your friends can fill them up with water and have a blast! Now that everybody is in a fun and playful mood, let’s check out our Go-Fish Squirt Fun with Candy. Get tiny pieces of yummy candy in the fin of these fish shaped squirt guns. Once the candy is gone, fill with some refreshing cold water and let the water fights begin. These fun and tasty novelties are available in a variety of colors. Both of these items are ideal for summer parties, birthday party favor, and many other occasions.
Are you going to the beach anytime soon or have a sandbox to play in or have a beach party? Try adding our Beach Buckets N’ Treats as a party favor. Use these wonderful items for parties for young and old to add fun all the way around. Play a little game of Hide & Seek or Treasure Hunting at your adult parties by simply switching the treasure around to more grown up versions. Kids will love the beach bucket and sand toys for building sand castles and digging for their own treasures. After all of that hard work, indulge in the 4 miniature swirl lollipops and packet of candy sand for a sweet treat. This entire ensemble is wrapped with a mesh wrap. Perfect for party favors, wouldn’t you say?
Check out our Summer Novelties at Candy Concepts, Inc. for many more summer fun ideas. You will not be disappointed.